Sunday, September 30, 2012

Handmade knives

I have always been interested in knives. I have a varied assortment of knives, from my first one, a Boy Scout multi-tool knife, which is about 30 years old, to Old Timer pocketknives, to traditional, hand made, one of a kind, Finnish puukko knives.

I have also been interested in woodworking, and have made several wood items, from clocks to signs to tables. Last year, however, I was doing my usual perusing of the internet and found something that really, really caught my eye - a knife making kit. A wonderful amalgam of two of my favorite hobbies - knives and woodworking. After that, I was hooked.

This blog will chronicle my knives I have subsequently created and will create. I started from a kit and made a functional if not very aesthetically pleasing knife. After trial and error, in which I am still in the midst of, I will hopefully make knives that are functional, beautiful, and most of all, unique. I have made five knives as of this posting, and will post before and after photos, as well as all my mistakes and  proud moments.

Naali Knives got its name from my fascination with and love of all things Finland. "Naali" is the Finnish word for "arctic fox". 

No comments:

Post a Comment